Monday, December 8, 2008

My Old Little Man



This is "Brock" Ch. Starfall's The Enchanter, CD. -- In the late 1970's I had shelties and had a dream of owning a dog nice enough to put in the show ring. For a variety of reasons, the most important of which was to raise my family, I got out of shelties for a number of years. In 2000 I decided that I needed to have shelties again, I just missed them too much!! So I began a search for a very nice dog. It is really hard to find anyone that will trust someone that has never finished a dog and that they don't know with a nice dog. I was met with a very cool reception by most of the people that I contacted. Then I found an ad for puppies and the ad said the person was an AKC judge and had owned shelties for a lot of years. I called on the ad!! That was Janet Nahikian of Starfall shelties. She was nice enough to listen to me and then to offer me Brock. I promised her that if there was any way I could finish him that I would. When he arrived at my house I was thrilled. He was so cute and so pretty. I was in heaven. That began the second round of my sheltie career. I had always had AOAC's and that is still where my heart is. Brock remains my soul little sable guy, but I could not love him more.
He is turning 9 years old in less than a month. He has started to develop arthritis. Last night he was in so much pain from the arthritis that he could hardly put weight on one of his front paws. I tucked him in bed last night between myself and my husband so he would have a comfy place to sleep. When I tried to move him over just a little bit he cried out from his painful joint. This morning he is doing better and not even limping, but it is hard to see this little guy start to show signs of age. He is still the beautiful little puppy to me.
The pictures above were taken by Shannalee when Brock visited her house for a few days. They were taken a couple of months ago. I was so thrilled to see the pictures. He has really held his quality over the years. In fact, if anything he gets better as the years go by.
So this is my tribute the darling little dog that made all of my recent passion for shelties possible again. I love you little man. I hope you have a lot of years left to lay by my side and run our house!!!

1 comment:

Shannalee, Akadia Shelties said...

He truly is a special guy. He has such classic virtues of quality and temperament.
Your a lucky gal to have him/